O'Reilly Name History
O'Reilly Irish Coat of arms
O'Reilly (/əˈraɪli/) is the Anglicised form of the Gaelic Ó Raghallaigh. It is also the patronymic form of the Irish name Reilly (Irish Gaelic: Uí Raghaile). It is commonly found throughout Ireland, with the greatest concentration of the surname found in County Cavan followed by Longford, Meath, Westmeath, Fermanagh and Monaghan, and the Province of Leinster. O'Reilly is ranked tenth in the top twenty list of Irish surnames.
The bloody hand in the O'Reilly coat of arms represents Symbol of Faith, Sincerity, and Justice. The motto for the O'Reilly family is, "With Fortitude and Prudence."
Variant spellings of the Irish surname O'Reilly include Reilley, O'Reily, O'Riely, O'Rielly, O'Riley, O'Rilley and many others.
Find out more details about the O'Reilly coat of arms
The Irish Rose carries two items which may provide you with more details about the O'Reilly family in Ireland, their family crest, and other historical notes.
We also carry O'Reilly caps, shirts, flags, mugs, etched glassware, and heirloom products. Visit our coat of arms page to see all the items available with the O'Reilly name and family crest.
Is there an O'Reilly's Pub in Ireland?
There are a number of named for the O'Reilly families in Ireland.
- O'Reilly's Sub Lounge is in Dublin. As the name implies, it's located underground, beneath the Tara Street Station.
- Frank O'Reillys is in Bellavary, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland
- Mother Reilly's Bar & Restaurant is also in Dublin, on Upper Rathmines Road
- O'Reillys Pub Sandymount, located in a suburb in Dublin 4
If you can't visit one of these fine O'Reilly establishments, our personalized pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named O'Reilly
- Alejandro O'Reilly (1722-1794), second Spanish governor of colonial Louisiana
- Bernard O'Reilly (1903-1975), located the wreck of a Stinson airplane in the McPherson Range, Australia, 1937
- Bernard O'Reilly (bishop of Hartford) (1803-1856), Roman Catholic bishop
- Bernard O'Reilly (bishop of Liverpool) (1824-1894), Roman Catholic bishop
- Bill O'Reilly (1949), American commentator and television show host of The O'Reilly Factor on the Fox News Channel
- Bill O'Reilly (cricketer), Australian cricketer
- Bob O'Reilly, Australian rugby league footballer
- Caitriona O'Reilly, poet and critic
- Cal O'Reilly, Canadian ice hockey player
- Cameron O'Reilly, Irish and Australian businessman
- Charles Nelson Reilly (1931-2007), American actor and director
- Danny O'Reilly, Lead singer of Irish band, The Coronas
- David O'Reilly (artist), film director and artist
- David J. O'Reilly, Chairman and CEO of Chevron Corporation
- Emily O'Reilly, Irish journalist
- Finbarr O'Reilly, Canadian photographer
- Gary O'Reilly, English footballer
- Genevieve O'Reilly, Irish actress
- Heather O'Reilly (1985), American soccer player
- Hugh Reily (1630-1695), Irish M.P. and political author
- James Reilly (Canadian politician) (1835-1909), Canadian businessman and politician from Alberta
- James F. Reilly (1954), American astronaut
- James E. Reilly, American writer of soap operas
- Joe O'Reilly, IRA bodyguard of Michael Collins (Irish leader)
- John O'Reilly, Leader of The Saint Patrick's Battalion of Mexico
- John O'Reilly (1940), Canadian politician from Ontario
- John C. Reilly (1965), Irish-American actor
- Joseph O'Reilly, Irish politician
- Leonora O'Reilly, an American feminist
- Luke O'Reilly
- Margaret M. O'Reilly (1962- ), Irish-born, American art curator, New Jersey State Museum
- Matthew O'Reilly, Irish politician and farmer
- Mr. O'Reilly, Fictitious Irish character/builder portrayed by the Irish actor David Kelly on the episode "The Builders" from Fawlty Towers
- Paddy Reilly (1939), Irish folk singer
- Peter O'Reilly (civil servant) (1827-1905), settler and official in the Colony of British Columbia
- Peter O'Reilly (hurler) (1902-1940), Irish hurler
- Randall C. O'Reilly (1967), professor of psychology, developer of Leabra
- Robert O'Reilly (1950), American actor
- Ryan O'Reilly (ice hockey) (1991), Canadian ice hockey player
- Ryan O'Reilly (wrestler) (1980), American professional wrestler
- Samuel O'Reilly (19th century), American inventor
- Sidney Reilly (1874-1925), Russian-British spy
- Stephen O'Reilly, American actor
- Stephen O'Reilly, Australian footballer
- Terry O'Reilly, hockey player
- Thomas Reilly (1942), American politician
- Tom OReilly (1915-1995), Irish Fianna Fáil politician
- Tim O'Reilly (1954), founder of O'Reilly Media
- Tom OReilly (1915-1995), Irish gaelic footballer and politician
- Tom OReilly Irish Sinn Féin politician
- Tom O'Reilly (rugby league), Papua New Guinea international
- Tony O'Reilly (1936), Irish billionnaire businessman
- Walter Cresswell O'Reilly (1877-1954), Australian Commonwealth Film Censor and founding President of the National Trust of Australia