O'Connell Name History
O'Connell Coat of Arms
O'Connell is a surname of Irish origin. It is an Anglicisation of the Gaelic Ó Conaill, meaning "descendant of Conall." The personal name Conall is possibly composed of the elements con (from cú meaning "hound" or "wolf") and gal (meaning "valour").
The O'Connell family, principally of Derrynane, are a Gaelic Irish noble family of County Kerry in Munster. The principal seat of the senior line of the family was Derrynane House, now an Irish National Monument.
Variant Spellings of the Irish surname O'Connell include Connell, Cannell, Connall, Conell, Connill, Connull, Connel, Connal, Canell, Cannel, O'Conell, Cannell, Cannel, O'Cannall, O'Conell, among others.
The O'Connell family crest and coat of arms
The O'Connell coat of arms features a its buck and three shamrocks on a field of green and white. For detailed O'Connell name history information, our Framed Irish Family Name History (#1760) has more information on the O'Connell family origins and surname.
The Irish Rose has a large selection of O'Connell coat of arms items. Items featuring the Irish counties connected to the O'Connells include Irish County mugs and Irish county coat of arms flags.
Looking for O'Connell pubs in Ireland?
We found a couple of pubs in Ireland with your family name. Be sure to visit one or both on your next trip to the Emerald Isle.
If you can't visit and O'Connell Irish pub in person, our personalized pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named O'Connell
- Aaron D. O'Connell, Creator of the world's first quantum machine
- Anthony O'Connell, American Catholic bishop
- Arthur O'Connell (1908-1981), American actor
- Bill O'Connell, (1957), American photographer
- Carlos O'Connell, Irish decathlete
- Charles O'Connell - born in 1900, musician and conductor of the Philadelphia Orchestra, recording conductor for RCA Victor (many original symphonic recordings), and author of 3 books about the music industry.
- Charlie O'Connell, American actor
- Christian O'Connell, English radio DJ
- Dáithí Ó Conaill (David O'Connell) (1938-1991), IRA member
- Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), Irish politician
- Daniel P. O'Connell, American politician from New York
- David O'Connell (North Dakota), American politician
- Bishop Denis J. O'Connell, American Catholic bishop
- Eileen O'Connell (Irish writer)
- Helen O'Connell (1920-1993), American singer, actress, and dancer
- Jack O'Connell (born 1951), California politician
- Jerry O'Connell, American actor
- Jock O'Connell, American economist and writer
- Joe M. O'Connell, American writer
- John M. O'Connell (1872-1941), U.S. Representative from Rhode Island
- John O'Connell (MP) (1801-1858), Irish politician, son of Daniel O'Connell
- John O'Connell (b. 1930), Irish politician
- Joseph F. O'Connell (1872-1942), U.S. Representative from Massachusetts
- Martin O'Connell (footballer)
- Martin O'Connell (Canadian politician)
- Maura O'Connell, singer
- Max OConnell (born 1936), Australian cricket umpire
- Mick O'Connell (born 1937), Irish footballer
- Mike O'Connell, hockey player and general manager
- Paddy O'Connell, British TV presenter
- Patrick O'Connell (actor), Irish actor
- Patrick O'Connell (Irish footballer)
- Patrick O'Connell (poet), Canadian poet
- Paul O'Connell (born 1979), Irish rugby player
- Stephen C. O'Connell (1916-2001), Florida Supreme Court justice (1955-1967), president of the University of Florida (1967-1973)
- Taaffe O'Connell, actress
- Terri O'Connell, American motor racing driver
- Thomas J. O'Connell (1882-1969), Irish politician
- William Henry O'Connell, American Catholic archbishop and cardinal
There are no products listed under this category.