McDermott Name History
McDermott Coat of Arms
McDermott is both an Irish given name and surname. The Irish name McDermott traces back to three Gaelic Mac Diarmada septs based in Connaught. The main Sept was known as 'MacDermot Roe,' which derives from the Irish word for red.
Variant Spellings of the Irish surname McDermott include McDermot, McDermitt, McDermit, McDermutt, McDermut, and many more.
Learn more about the McDermott family name
For more information about the McDermotts, see the Framed Irish Family Name History, (#1760).
The Irish Rose offers many McDermott coat of arms products, from clothing to glassware to framed coat of arms heirlooms. Please visit the Irish Coat of Arms page.
Where to find McDermott's Pub in Ireland?
The McDermott family in Riverstown, County Sligo has operated Sean McDermott's & Son (sometimes called Sean Mac's) for a century.
If you can't visit Sean Mac's in person, our personalized pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named McDermott
- Alice McDermott, writer
- Alister McDermott, cricketer
- Andy McDermott, author
- Bill McDermott, executive
- Brian McDermott, rugby coach
- Brian McDermott, football manager of Reading
- Charlie McDermott, American actor
- Craig A McDermott, British Contemporary Artist
- Craig McDermott, cricketer
- David McDermott, English footballer
- Doug McDermott (born 1992), American basketball player; son of Greg McDermott (see below)
- Drew McDermott, computer scientist
- Dylan McDermott (born 1961), American actor
- Eugene McDermott, geophysicist, philanthropist; co-founder, Chairman, Director of Texas Instruments
- Gerald McDermott, American author, illustrator, graphic designer, and filmmaker
- Greg McDermott (born 1964), American basketball coach
- Helen McDermott, British radio and television presenter, best known for her work at Anglia Television
- James J. McDermott, Jr., former CEO and Chairman of Keefe, Bruyette & Woods
- Jim McDermott (born 1936), American politician
- John McDermott (golfer), golfer
- Kevin McDermott, Scottish singer/songwriter
- Melissa McDermott, CBS news anchor and reporter
- Michael McDermott, Software engineer who carried out the 2000 Wakefield Massacre
- Michael McDermott, Chicago singer-songwriter
- Mickey McDermott, baseball pitcher
- Neale McDermott, football player.
- Patrick McDermott, long-time boyfriend of Olivia Newton-John
- Paul McDermott, comedian
- Paul Mac, musician
- Robert McDermott, basketball player
- Terry McDermott, football player
- William Dermott Molloy McDermott, Roman Catholic bishop