Callahan Name History
Callahan Irish Coat of Arms
Callahan is a well-known Irish surname. The Callahan name means descendent of Ceallachán. He was the Eóganachta King of Munster from AD 935 until 954. The personal name Cellach means 'bright-headed.' These Irish counties claim Callahans: Armagh, Louth, Meath, and Monaghan.
Spelling variations of Callahan
Variant spellings of the Irish surname Callahan include: Callaghan, Calahan, O'Callahan, O'Callaghan, Kalahan, Kallaghan, Kallahan, O'Kallaghan, Kellaghan, Kelleghan, Kellahan, Kelahan, Ceilahan, Ceilaghan, Callachan, Calachan, Callagan, Calagan, Kelagan, Keelaghan, Kealahan, Kelaghan, Callighan, and others.
The Callahan family crest and coat of arms
The Callahan coat of arms features a green field with a stand of trees, with a wolf emerging. For detailed Callahan name history information, our Framed Irish Family Name History (#1760) has more information on the Callahan family origins and surname.
The Irish Rose has a large selection of Callahan coat of arms items. Items featuring the Irish counties connected to the Callahans include Irish County mugs and Irish county coat of arms flags.
Find the Callahan name in Ireland
Stay at the lovely O'Callaghan Stephen's Green Hotel in Dublin to celebrate the Callahan name and family.
If you can't visit in person, our personalized pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named Callahan
In the United States Armed Forces
- John H. Callahan, Civil War soldier and Medal of Honor recipient
- Ben Callahan, baseball player
- Bill Callahan (football coach), American football coach
- Gerry Callahan, sports writer
- Henry Callahan, ultimate player
- Nixey Callahan, baseball player and manager
- Ryan Callahan, ice hockey player
- Viviana Callahan Vargas (b. 1980), Chilean ski mountaineer
- Bob Callahan, former member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario
- Deb Callahan, former president of the League of Conservation Voters
- Dennis Callahan, ran in the 2006 Maryland county executive elections
- Donald A. Callahan, 1938 Republican nominee for the U.S. Senate seat in Idaho
- Ed Callahan, former Chairman of the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)
- James Yancy Callahan, former Delegate from the Oklahoma Territory to the U.S. House of Representatives
- John B. Callahan, mayor of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- Laura Callahan, former senior director at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Sonny Callahan, former member of the U.S. House of Representatives for Mobile, Alabama
- Victor Callahan, current Missouri State Senator
- Bill Callahan (musician), singer-songwriter
In show business
- Bill Callahan (producer), producer and writer of Scrubs
- John Callahan (actor), actor in All My Children
- Noel Callahan, actor in Romeo!
- Dennis Callahan, choreographer
- Mars Callahan, actor, director, producer and writer
- Americus Callahan, inventor
- Consuelo María Callahan, judge
- Daniel Callahan, philosopher
- David Callahan, writer
- Gene Callahan (disambiguation), multiple people
- Harry Callahan (photographer), photographer
- John Callahan (disambiguation), multiple people
- John Ross Callahan, dental researcher
- Kenneth Callahan, artist
- North Callahan, historian
- William P. Callahan, Roman Catholic bishop