Shea Name History
Shea Irish Coat of Arms
The Irish surname Shea is derived from O'Shea (Shea, Shee)and is an anglicized form of the Irish patronymic name Ó Séaghdha, originating in the Kingdom of Corcu Duibne in County Kerry.
Shea/O'Shea/Shay= Originating in Counties Kerry and Cork, O'Shea came from O Se, coming the Irish Gaelic word seagdha, meaning hawk, but also has a secondary meaning of stately. They later moved north, west, and east into Tyrone, Louth, Mayo, Limerick, Galway, and Clare.
Learn more about the Shea family
The Framed Irish Family Name History, (#1760) has more information on the Shea surname. There is a wide selection of Shea coat of arms products at The Irish Rose. Please visit the Irish Coat of Arms page.
Locate Shea's Pub in Ireland
There are several bars in Ireland that bear the Shea or O'Shea name:
If you can't visit one of the Shea pubs in person, our personalized pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named Shea
- Brek Shea (born 1990), American soccer player
- Cornelius Shea (1872–1929), American labor leader and crime boss
- Danny Shea (footballer) (1887–1960), English footballer
- Dave Shea (broadcaster) (born c. 1950), American hockey announcer
- Eric Shea (born 1960), American actor
- George Beverly Shea (1909–2013), Canadian-born American gospel singer-songwriter
- Gerry Shea (1881–1964), American baseball player
- Gwyn Shea (born 1937), American politician; Texas Secretary of State and member of the Texas House of Representatives
- H. James Shea, Jr. (c. 1940-1970), American politician.
- Jack Shea (speed skater) (1910–2002), American speed skater
- Jack Shea (footballer) (1927–1983), Australian rules footballer
- Jack Shea (director) (1928–2013), American film and television director
- James Shea (born 1991), English footballer
- Jamie Shea (born 1953), NATO official
- Jerry Shea (1892–1947), Welsh international rugby union player and rugby league player
- Joe Shea (born 1947), American activist and journalist; founder and editor-in-chief of The American Reporter; plaintiff in Shea v. Reno, a First Amendment lawsuit
- Nap Shea (1874–1968), American baseball player
- Patrick Shea (1908–1986), Northern Irish civil servant
- Robert Shea (1933–1994), American magazine editor and novelist
- Spec Shea, Francis Joseph "Spec" Shea (1920–2002), American baseball player
- Stephen Shea, (born 1961) American actor
- William Shea (1907–1981), American lawyer; namesake of New York City's Shea Stadium
There are no products listed under this category.