O'Riley Name History
O'Riley Irish Coat of Arms
O'Riley is a surname of English or Irish origin. The English version derives from the Old English words rye and leah (meaning 'wood' or 'clearing'). The Gaelic version is Ó Raghallaigh whichis a group of families, ultimately all of Irish Gaelic origin, who were historically the kings of East Breifne in what is today County Cavan. The clan were part of the Connachta's Ui Briuin Bréifne kindred and were closely related to the O'Ruairc (O'Rourkes) of West Breifne.
Variant spellings of the Irish surname Riley include O'Reilly, Reilly, Rielly, Reilley, Reily, Riley, and many others.
How to find out more about the O'Riley family crest
We are proud to offer two items that may shed more light on the O'Riley family coat of arms and history in Ireland. Our Framed Irish Family Name History (#1760) and Framed Irish Coat of Arms & Family History (#1700) provide more details about the O'Riley family in Ireland. These beautiful framed documents will be treasured in the O'Riley family for years to come.
Find other O'Riley coat of arms products on the Irish Coat of Arms page.
Does Ireland have an O'Riley's Pub?
We looked and looked, but didn't find a pub with the spelling, 'O'Riley.' However, we did find quite a few pubs with the 'O'Reilly' spelling variant. If you find an O'Riley's Pub on your next visit to Ireland, please let us know and send us the info!
- O'Reilly's Sub Lounge is in Dublin. As the name implies, it's located underground, beneath the Tara Street Station.
- Frank O'Reillys is in Bellavary, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland
- Mother Reilly's Bar & Restaurant is also in Dublin, on Upper Rathmines Road
- O'Reillys Pub Sandymount, located in a suburb in Dublin 4
If you can't visit one of these fine O'Reilly establishments, our personalized pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named Riley
- Christopher O'Riley (born 1956), American classical pianist and public radio show host
- Don O'Riley (1945–1997), Major League Baseball pitcher
- Bunny Wailer (born 1947), reggae musician sometimes known as Bunny O'Riley
- Jon Riley (1824–1879), US army deserter also known as John O'Riley