O’Donoghue Name History
O’Donoghue Name History
O'Donoghue or Donoghue is an anglicized form of the Irish language surname Ó Donnchadha or Ó Donnchú.
The name means means "descendant of Donnchadh", a personal name composed of the elements donn "brown-haired [man]" and cath "battle." Spelling variations (which may include an initial "Ó" or omit it) include Donoghue, Donaghoe, Donoughe, Donaho, Donahoe, Donough, Donahue, Donahow, Doneghoe, Donehue, Donighue, Donoho, Donohoe, Donahugh, Donohough, Donohow, Donahue, Donohue, Donaughue, Donaghie, Donaghy, Doughue, Dougue, and many more. Some of these variations exist also in Northern Ireland and Scotland with the same meaning in Scottish Gaelic as in Irish.
Learn more about the O’Donoghue name
The Framed Irish Family Name History, (#1760) has more information on the O’O’Donoghue surname. There is a wide selection of O’O’Donoghue coat of arms products at The Irish Rose. Please visit the Irish Coat of Arms page.
Visit O'Donoghue's pubs in Ireland
There's more than one pub in Ireland with your name on it. Add these fine establishments to your itinerary the next time you visit the old country.
- O'Donoghue's Bar in Dublin, County Dublin
- O’Donoghues of Suffolk Street in Dublin, County Dublin
- A.E. O'Donoghue's Blue Pub in Fanore, County Clare
- O'Donoghue's Public House, Killarney, County Kerry
If you can't have a pint there in person, our personalized O'Donoghue pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named O’Donoghue
- Bernard O'Donoghue, Irish poet and academic
- Charles Henry O'Donoghue, zoologist
- Daniel John O'Donoghue, Ontario labour leader and political figure
- Daniel O'Donoghue, Irish politician
- Florence O'Donoghue, Irish historian and intelligence specialist
- John O'Donoghue (politician), Irish Fianna Fáil politician, former cabinet minister and former Ceann Comhairle
- Juan O'Donojú, Spanish military officer and last Viceroy of New Spain
- General Sir Kevin O'Donoghue KCB CBE, the first Chief of Defence Materiel in the United Kingdom Ministry of Defence
- Kevin O'Donoghue, Artist Educator at Clonkeen College
- Martin O'Donoghue, Irish economist and Fianna Fáil politician
- Geoffrey Paul Vincent O'Donoghue of the Glens
- Patrick O'Donoghue, Irish-born current Bishop Emeritus of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lancaster, England
- Peter O'Donoghue, herald at the College of Arms in London, England
- Tighe O'DonoghueRoss, Artist and Sculptor
- Daniel P O'Donoghue, Principal Lecturer in Geography at Canterbury Christ Church University, UK
In entertainment, sports, activism
- Ben O'Donoghue, Australian celebrity chef
- Ed O'Donoghue, Irish Rugby Union player
- John E. O'Donoghue, Major League Baseball pitcher
- John P. O'Donoghue, Major League Baseball pitcher
- Lowitja O'Donoghue, Aboriginal Australian civil and political rights activist
- Michael O'Donoghue, Irish-American comedian, writer and occasional performer for Saturday Night Live
- Nan Joyce née O'Donoghue, Irish Travellers' right activist
- Neil O'Donoghue, former NFL kicker
- Danny O'Donoghue, lead singer of the Irish band "The Script"
- Colin O'Donoghue, Irish actor currently acting at Once Upon A Time