Noonan Name History
Noonan Name History
Noonan (Irish: Ó Nuanáin and Ó hIonmhaineáin).
Originally recorded as O'Nuanain, it is said to belong almost exclusively to the province of Munster, and particularly County Cork. The name means the "descendant of the beloved one" which was a reference to the original chief of the clan.
Learn more about the Noonan
The Framed Irish Family Name History, (#1760) has more information on the Noonan surname. There is a wide selection of Noonan coat of arms products at The Irish Rose. Please visit the Irish Coat of Arms page.
Find Noonan's Pub in Ireland
We managed to locate at least one Noonan's Bar in Ireland. There isn't a website as yet, but from what we can tell, they serves their loyal patrons on Lord Edward Street near the Limerick train station in County Limerick.
If you can't visit Noonan's in person, our personalized pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named Noonan
- Bill Noonan, 1960s New Zealand rugby league international
- Brian Noonan (born 1965), retired National Hockey League player
- Buddy Noonan (born 1937), American cinematographer, actor, and entertainer
- Carol Noonan, folksinger
- Christine Noonan (1945-2003), British actress
- Desmond Noonan (1951-2005) and Dominic Noonan (born 1966), former Manchester mobsters
- Edward A. Noonan (1852–1927), mayor of St Louis, USA
- Edward C. Noonan (born 1948), American politician
- Edward Thomas Noonan (1861–1923), American politician from Illinois
- Edward Noonan (architect) (born 1930), Chicago architect and developer
- Frederick Noonan (1893-missing 1937, declared dead 1938), aviator who accompanied Amelia Earhart on her ill-fated last flight
- Jacqueline Noonan (born 1921), American pediatric cardiologist
- John Noonan, Jr. (born 1926), American judge
- Katie Noonan (born 1977), Australian singer and songwriterKatie Noonan (born 2002)
- Michael Noonan (born 1943), Irish politician
- Michael J. Noonan (Fianna Fáil) (born 1935), Irish former politician and Minister for Defence
- Nick Noonan, member of musical duo KarminNick Noonan, baseball player in minor leagues with San Francisco Giants minor league
- Pat Noonan (born 1980), American soccer (football) player
- Peggy Noonan (born 1950), author and primary speech writer for Ronald Reagan
- Robert Noonan, writer under the pseudonym Robert Tressell
- Sinéad Noonan (born 1987), Irish model, actress and Miss Ireland 2008
- Tommy Noonan (1921–1968), American television and film actor
- Thomas S. Noonan (1938–2001), American historian, anthropologist and Slavicist
- Thomas P. Noonan, Jr. (1943–1969), American Marine lance corpora
- Tom Noonan (born 1951), American film, television and theater actor-writer
- Thomas Noonan (musician) (born 1974), American drummer
- Wade Noonan (born 1971), Australian politician