Malone Name History
Malone Irish Coat of Arms
Malone is a family name. From the Irish "Mael Eòin", the name means a servant or a disciple of Saint John.
Early Malone history is centered on Offaly where they had their estate in Ballynahown. The Malones who supported King James II had to flee to Europe, where they can be traced in the armies and in the records of France and Spain.
Molly Malone History
"Molly Malone" (also known as "Cockles and Mussels" or "In Dublin's Fair City") is a popular song, set in Dublin, Ireland, which has become the unofficial anthem of Dublin City.
The Molly Malone statue in Grafton Street was unveiled by then-Lord Mayor of Dublin, Alderman Ben Briscoe during the 1988 Dublin Millennium celebrations, declaring 13 June as Molly Malone Day. The statue was presented to the city by Jury's Hotel Group to mark the Millennium.
Since 18 July 2014, it has been relocated to Suffolk Street, in front of the Tourist Information Office, in order to make way for Luas track-laying work to be completed at the old location.
Learn more about the Malones
The Framed Irish Family Name History, (#1760) has more information on the Malone surname. There is a wide selection of Malone coat of arms products at The Irish Rose. Please visit the Irish Coat of Arms page.
Finding Malone's Pub in Ireland
You can find bars named for the famous Molly Malone all around the world, but it's not as easy to find a Malone's Pub in Ireland. However, we came across Malone's Galtee Inn, sometimes just called The Galtee Inn, which has been found in The Square, Cahir, County Tipperary since 1780.
If you can't visit in person, our personalized pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named Malone
- Gilla Críst Ua Máel Eóin, historian and Abbot of Clonmacnoise, died 1127
- Anna Marie Malone, Canadian long-distance runner
- Carole Malone, British journalist
- Colonel Cecil L'Estrange Malone, British MP and journalist
- Darrell Malone (born 1967), American football cornerback
- Dorothy Malone (born 1925), American actress
- Dudley Field Malone, Lawyer, Progressive activist, and Scopes Trial defense lawyer
- Edmond Malone, Irish Shakespearean scholar and editor of the works of William Shakespeare
- Fergy Malone, Irish baseball player & manager
- Gareth Malone, English musician, choirmaster and documentary maker
- George Malone, Nevada Senator
- Glasses Malone, an American rapper
- James E. Malone, Jr., Maryland state legislator
- J.B. Malone, Irish writer and broadcaster on hiking and hill-walking
- Jeff Malone (born 1961), American basketball player
- Jena Malone, American actress
- Joe Malone (ice hockey) ("Phantom Joe"), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- John C. Malone, chairman of the Liberty Media Corporation
- Joseph Malone (VC), British soldier
- Joseph Malone (actor)
- Joseph D. Malone, former Massachusetts state treasurer
- Joseph R. Malone, New Jersey state legislator
- J. R. Malone, American professional baseball umpire
- Karl Malone (born 1963), American basketball player
- Kyp Malone, American rock musician
- Lew Malone, American baseball player
- Mark Malone, American former professional football player and television commentator
- Maud Malone (1873-1951), American librarian and suffragette
- Max T. Malone, Louisiana State Senator
- Michelle Malone, American guitarist and singer-songwriter
- Molly Malone (actress), American silent-film actress
- Moses Malone (1955–2015), American basketball player
- Percy Malone, Arkansas state legislator
- Peter Malone, former Mayor of Nelson, New Zealand
- Ryan Malone, American professional ice hockey player on the Tampa Bay Lightning
- Sean Malone, American musician and professor
- Stephanie Malone, Arkansas politician
- Thomas H. Malone (1834-1906), Confederate veteran, judge and Dean of the Vanderbilt University Law School.
- Tina Malone, English actress from Shameless
- Lieutenant Colonel William George Malone, World War I New Zealand soldier
- William M. Malone, politician in San Francisco, California
- William Malone (director), American filmmaker