Hickey Name History
Hickey Irish Coat of Arms
Hickey is a common surname of Irish origin. The original form is Ó hÍceadha, which is still used in Ireland and comes form iceadh, an old Irish word meaning physician.
According to ancient tradition, the family is descended from the Mac Conmara line a Mac Conmara leader. Spelling variations include Hickie.
Learn more about the Hickey Name
The Framed Irish Family Name History, (#1760) has more information on the Hickey surname. There is a wide selection of Hickey coat of arms products at The Irish Rose. Please visit the Irish Coat of Arms page.
Is there a Hickey Pub in Ireland?
There is indeed a pub that shares a variation on the Hickey name. Hickies Bar Kilkee is in County Clare on O'Connell Street. Drop in a raise a pint to the Hickeys!
If you can't visit in person, our personalized Hickey pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named Hickey
- Rich Hickey, Creator of the Clojure programming language.
- Cheryl Hickey, born 1976, entertainment reporter for the Global Television Network
- Dale Hickey born 1937, Australian artist
- Dave Hickey, American art critic, author of Air Guitar: Essays on Art & Democracy (1998)
- Earl Hickey, fictional character in the NBC show My Name Is Earl
- Randy Hickey, fictional character in the NBC show My Name Is Earl
- Eddie Hickey, US sportsman
- Emily Henrietta Hickey, Irish author and translator
- Ersel Hickey, rockabilly singer
- James Harden-Hickey, 19th century American writer
- Kenny Hickey, US musician
- Magee Hickey, US television reporter
- Michael Hickey, US screenwriter
- Tom Hickey, Irish actor, famous for his role in The Riordans
- Thomas Hickey, 1741–1842, Irish painter
- William Hickey (actor)
- William Hickey (memoirist)
- May Wynn, actress, born Donna Lee Hickey before taking the stage name "May Wynn," after playing a character by that name in The Caine Mutiny
- Hickey was also the name of a melodic punk rock band from San Francisco in the mid-1990s
- Ambrose Hickey (1945–2016), Irish Gaelic footballer
- Anthony Hickey, born 1992, American basketball player
- Charlie Hickey, American college baseball coach
- Colin Hickey, Australian speed skater
- Denis Hickie, Irish international Rugby Union
- Jack Hickey (rugby), Australian Dual internationalist Rugby Union, Rugby league
- Jarrad Hickey, born 1985, Australian Rugby League player
- Jim Hickey (American football)
- Jim Hickey (baseball coach)
- Miriam Hickey, US Soccer player
- Noah Hickey, New Zealand football player
- Noel Hickey, Irish sportsman
- Pat Hickey (sports administrator), born 1945, Irish sports administrator
- Pat Hickey, born 1953, Canadian Ice Hockey player
- Red Hickey, 1917–2006, athlete, played American Football
- Reg Hickey, player and coach for Geelong in Australian rules football
- Thomas Hickey, professional ice hockey player, L.A. Kings
Politics and law
- Bonnie Hickey, Canadian politician
- Eileen Hickey (New York) (1945–1999), New York politician
- Eileen M. Hickey (1886–1960), Northern Irish politician
- James Hickey (Irish politician)
- Jimmy Hickey, Jr., American politician
- John J. Hickey, American politician
- Maggie Hickey, Australian politician
- Theodore M. Hickey, American politician
- William J. Hickey, New York politician and judge
History and current affairs
- Colonel James Hickey (soldier), in charge of the US Special forces team which captured Saddam Hussein
- Elizabeth Hickey historian and writer
- Jim Hickey (weather presenter)
- Thomas Hickey (soldier), executed for mutiny during the American Revolutionary War
- Antony Hickey, born 1586, Irish Franciscan theologian
- David Francis Hickey (1882–1973), American-born Catholic bishop in Belize
- Rev. William Hickey (1787-1875), Irish priest, writer and philanthropist
- J.S. Hickey, Cistercian Abbot, author of a "Summula Philosophiae" first published 1915
There are no products listed under this category.