Egan Name History
Egan Irish Coat of Arms
The Irish surname Egan comes from the Gaelic "Mac Aodhagain" meaning "son of Aodh, son of fire". The ancient Egans were lawyers of Ui Maine which was an region which is today called Galway, Roscommon and Offaly.
Mac Aodhagáin (English: Egan or Keegan), is an Irish Gaelic clan of Brehons who were hereditary lawyers - firstly to the Ó Conchobhair Kings of Connacht, and later to the Burkes of Clanricarde.
The earliest surviving Irish law manuscript, In Senchas Már, was written prior to 1350 at a school (patronised by the Mac Aodhagáin) at Duniry, near Loughrea. Other branches of the clann maintained schools at Park, outside Tuam, and at Ballymacegan in Co. Tipperary. The work known as Leabhar Breac was produced by one of their students, while Dubhaltach MacFhirbhisigh may have studied at Ballymacegan under Flann Mac Aodhagáin up to the year 1643.
Learn more about the Egan family
The Framed Irish Family Name History, (#1760) has more information on the Egan surname. There is a wide selection of Egan coat of arms products at The Irish Rose. Please visit the Irish Coat of Arms page.
Visit one of the Egan Pubs in Ireland
There are at least two Irish pubs that bear the Egan name in Ireland.
If you can't visit in person, our personalized Egan pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named Egan
- Chandler Egan, golfer
- Daniel Egan, former mayor of Sydney, Australia
- Dennis Egan (born 1947), Alaska politician
- Eddie Egan (1930–1995), New York police detective depicted in The French Connection
- Edward Egan, Roman Catholic Cardinal
- Felim Egan, painter
- George W. Egan, South Dakota politician
- Gerard Egan, psychologist
- Greg Egan, author
- Jennifer Egan, author
- Kenny Egan, boxer
- Johnny Egan, basketball player and coach
- Joseph F. Egan (c.1917–1964), New York politician
- Joseph V. Egan, New Jersey politician
- Kian Egan, singer, part of the band Westlife
- Kieran Egan (educationist), English educator
- Kieran Egan (politician), Irish politician
- Mark Egan, jazz musician
- Matthew Egan, Australian Rules footballer
- Maureen Egan, American writer and director of music videos and films
- Maurice Francis Egan, American writer and diplomat
- Philip Egan (born 1955), Bishop of Portsmouth
- Pierce Egan, journalist
- Roma Egan, ballet dancer
- Sam Egan, journalist and producer
- Seamus Egan, musician
- Sean Egan, computer software developer
- Susan Egan, American actress
- Ted Egan, Australian folk musician and Administrator of the Northern Territory
- Thomas C. Egan (1894–1961), US federal judge
- Timothy Egan, writer
- Tommy Egan - (Born 1924) Boxer -middleweight, Veterans Boxing Association Hall of Fame
- Walter Egan (born 1948), American musician
- Walter Egan (golfer), golfer