Donovan Name History
Donovan Irish Coat of Arms
Donovan is both an Irish given name and surname. According to many sources, the surname Donovan was first found in County Limerick or Luimneach. Variant Spellings of the Irish surname Donovan include Donavon, Donavan, Donevan, Donnovan, Donnavan, Donnovin and many others.
Details about the Donovans in Ireland
According to Wikipedia, "The O'Donovans are descendants of the 10th century Donnubán mac Cathail, Lord/Chief of the regional territorial tribe of the Uí Fidgenti (established 377 a.d.), who was associated through marriage to his Norse allies from Limerick and Waterford, belonging to the Uí Ímair."
More about the Donovan name and family crest
The Donovans are an old family in Ireland and part of the Gaelic nobility. We are honored to offer two framed documents that provide more details on the Donovan surname and coat of arms. The Framed Irish Family Name History and Framed Irish Coat of Arms & Family History are heirloom-quality framed prints that describe the Donovan family history in detail.
Donovan is one of the many Irish coats of arms and surnames available on clothing, glassware, home decor, and other quality gifts. See the Irish coat of arms page on theirishrose.com for family crest ideas and products.
Any Donovan Pubs in Ireland?
O'Donovan's Hotel in Clonakilty, County Cork is Clonakilty's oldest family-run hotel and features a fireside pub.
If you can't visit in person, our personalized Donovan pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named Donovan
- Art Donovan, NFL Hall of Famer
- Bill Donovan (1876-1923), a pitcher and manager in Major League Baseball
- Bill Donovan (Boston Braves pitcher) (1916-1997), a pitcher in Major League Baseball
- Billy Donovan, Current head coach of Florida Gators men's basketball team
- Carrie Donovan, magazine editor
- Casey Donovan (singer), Australian Idol winner
- Charles Donovan naturalist
- Chris Donovan (ice hockey) (born 1985), American ice hockey player
- Chris Donovan, American television director and producer
- Christopher G. Donovan, Connecticut politician
- Daisy Donovan, English television presenter, actress, and writer
- Dan Donovan (guitarist), singer/songwriter, guitarist for Tribe of Dan
- Dan Donovan (keyboardist), keyboardist for Big Audio Dynamite and Dreadzone
- Dick Donovan (baseball player) (1927-1997), a Major League Baseball pitcher
- Edward Donovan (1768-1837), Anglo-Irish zoologist
- Elisa Donovan, American actress
- Gerard Donovan, Irish novelist and poet
- Hedley Donovan, editor in chief of Time Inc.
- Jacquelyn Piro Donovan, American musical theatre actress and singer
- James B. Donovan (died 1970), lawyer and sailor
- James G. Donovan (1898-1987), Democratic politician, former New York State Senator and United State congressman
- James H. Donovan (died 1990), Republican politician, former New York State Senator
- Jason Donovan, Australian pop rock singer and actor
- John J Donovan, American entrepreneur and former university professor
- Kevin Donovan, English football player
- Landon Donovan, American soccer player
- Lisa Donovan, American internet actress
- Mark Donovan, Welsh Actor
- Martin Donovan, American actor
- Michael Donovan, voice actor and Emmy nominated voice director
- Mike Donovan of Powell and Donovan, an Isaac Asimov character
- Patsy Donovan, Irish-American professional baseball player
- Raymond J. Donovan, U.S. Secretary of Labor
- Shean Donovan, Canadian ice hockey player
- Tara Donovan, American artist
- Terence Donovan (actor), Australian actor
- Terence Donovan (photographer), British photographer
- Tim Donovan, political editor for the BBC
- William Joseph Donovan, American lawyer and Office of Strategic Services chief in World War II, known as "father of the CIA"