O'Rourke Name History
O'Rourke Coat of Arms
O'Rourke is an Irish surname that comes from the Irish "O Ruairc." It derives from Ruarc, a personal name itself derived from the Old Norse Hrothekr, meaning 'famous king.' The motto for the O'Rourkes is Buagh, which means, "Victory." An alternate motto, Serviendo Guberno, means "I Govern by Serving."
The O'Rourkes are of the same stock as the O'Connors of Connacht, part of the large tribal grouping of the Ui Briain, claiming common descent from Brion, a fifth-century King of Connacht.
Variant spellings of the Irish surname O'Rourke include O'Rorke, O'Rork, O'Rourk, O'Roark, and many others.
Find out more details about the O'Rourke coat of arms
The Irish Rose carries two items which may provide you with more details about the O'Rourke family in Ireland, their family crest, and other historical notes.
We also carry O'Rourke caps, shirts, flags, mugs, etched glassware, and heirloom products. Visit our coat of arms page to see all the items available with the O'Rourke name and family crest.
Locate O'Rourke's Pub in Ireland
There is a pub with your name on it! Jack O'Rourke's Bar & Accommodation in Abbeyfeale, County Limerick offers B&B accommodations and a fireside pub.
If you can't visit O'Rourke's in Abbeyfeale, our personalized pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named O'Rourke
- Andrew O'Rourke, judge and politician from New York State
- Beto O'Rourke (born 1973), American entrepreneur and civic leader
- Brian O'Rourke (1540-1591), hereditary lord of West Breifne in Ireland
- Colm O'Rourke (born 1957), Irish footballer
- Danny O'Rourke (born 1983), American soccer player
- Declan O'Rourke, Irish singer
- Denis O'Rourke (born 1946), New Zealand politician
- Dennis O'Rourke (born 1945), Australian documentary film director
- Derval O'Rourke (born 1981), Irish sprint hurdles athlete
- Edward O'Rourke (1876-1943), Polish Roman Catholic priest, bishop of Riga, first bishop of Danzig (Gdańsk)
- Frank O'Rourke (1916-1989), American writer
- Frank O'Rourke (baseball) (1894-1986), Canadian infielder in Major League Baseball
- Frank O'Rourke (footballer) (1878-1954), Scottish footballer
- Heather O'Rourke (1975-1988), American child actress
- Jet O'Rourke (born 1983), Australian Pop/ Rock singer songwriter
- Jim O'Rourke (baseball player) (1850-1919), American professional baseball player
- Jim O'Rourke (musician) (born 1969), American musician and producer
- John O'Rourke (footballer) (born 1945), English footballer
- John O'Rourke (baseball) (1849-1911), American baseball player
- Kathy Kirby stage name of Kathleen O'Rourke, pop singer
- Mary O'Rourke (born 1937), Irish politician
- Mícéal O'Rourke, an Irish classical pianist
- Michael O'Rourke (born 1955), New Zealand javelin thrower
- Michael James O'Rourke (1878-1957), Canadian recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Mike O'Rourke (1862-1882) a professional gambler of the Old West
- P. J. O'Rourke (born 1947), American political satirist, journalist, and writer
- Patrick Henry O'Rourke (1837-1863), Irish-born Civil War colonel
- Peter O'Rourke (1874-1956), Scottish footballer and manager
- Sean O'Rourke, Irish journalist and broadcaster
- Steve O'Rourke (1940-2003), manager of rock band Pink Floyd
- Tammy O'Rourke (born 1971), child dancer and actress
- Timothy O'Rourke, American college football head coach
- TS O'Rourke (born 1968), Irish author