O'Shea Name History
O'Shea Name History
O'Shea (Shea, Shee) is an Irish surname (an anglicized form of the Irish patronymic name Ó Séaghdha), originating in the Kingdom of Corcu Duibne in County Kerry.
Shea/O'Shea/Shay originated in Counties Kerry and Cork. O'Shea came from O Se, coming the Irish Gaelic word seagdha, meaning hawk, but also has a secondary meaning of stately. They later moved north, west, and east into Tyrone, Louth, Mayo, Limerick, Galway, and Clare.
Learn more about the O'Shea
The Framed Irish Family Name History, (#1760) has more information on the O'Shea surname. There is a wide selection of O'Shea coat of arms products at The Irish Rose. Please visit the Irish Coat of Arms page.
Find an O'Shea's Pub in Ireland
There are several bars in Ireland that bear the O'Shea's name:
If you can't visit one of O'Shea's in person, our personalized pub gifts are the next best thing!
Notable people named O'Shea
- Alicia O'Shea Petersen (1862-1923), Australian suffragist
- Brian O'Shea (politician) (born 1944), Irish politician
- Brian O'Shea (boxer), American boxer
- Clarrie O'Shea (1906-1988), Australian labor union secretary
- Franc O'Shea, Swazi musician
- James O'Shea and John O'Shea, Victorian stone carvers associated with John Ruskin
- Jack O'Shea (born 1957), All-Ireland winning Gaelic footballer from County Kerry
- Jack O'Shea's, award winning Irish butcher
- Jay O'Shea (born 1988), Irish footballer
- John O'Shea (born 1981), Irish international footballer who has won the Premier League, the FA Cup and the UEFA Champions League
- John O'Shea (director) (1920-2001), New Zealand film director
- John O'Shea (humanitarian) (born 1944), Irish founder of GOAL, international humanitarian organization based in Ireland
- John Augustus O'Shea (1839–1905), Irish soldier, journalist, and writer
- Katherine O'Shea (1846-1921), English wife of Irish politician, Charles Stewart Parnell
- Kelvin O'Shea (born 1933), Australian rugby league footballer
- Mark O'Shea (herpetologist) (born 1956), English herpetologist
- Mark O'Shea (musician) (born 16 February 1977), Australian singer-songwriter
- Michael O'Shea (Canadian football) (born 1970), Canadian football player
- Milo O'Shea (1926-2013), Irish actor
- Natalia O'Shea (born 1976), Russian linguist and musician
- Rick O'Shea (born 1973), Irish radio DJ
- Shayne O'Shea (born 1956), Irish American Wiccan Democrat and founder of the Temple of the Triple Goddess
- Steve O'Shea, New Zealand is marine biologist and environmentalist
- Tessie O'Shea (1913-1995), Welsh entertainer and actress
- Timothy O'Shea (born 1949), vice-chancellor and principal of the University of Edinburgh
- Tony O'Shea (born 1961), English darts player
- William O'Shea (1840-1905), Irish soldier and Member of Parliament
There are no products listed under this category.